MCRS Community Advisory Board
The Community Advisory Board (CAB) is a body established by the MCRS Board of Directors (BoD), in compliance with the broadcasting act 4 of 1999 to assist the station in being more responsive to community needs by providing for effective public participation in planning and decision-making. The CAB is solely advisory in nature, and is distinct from and independent of the Board of Directors (the station’s governing body).The CAB is comprised of people appointed by the Board of Directors who are reasonably representative of the diverse needs and interests of the communities served by the station.
There is no required number of members, but generally five to twelve people serve on the advisory board for two-year terms that can be renewed. Prospective members can be nominated by any director. Nominees must be approved by a majority vote of the BoD. No CAB members may be a member of the governing board, paid staff or programming volunteer of MCRS. CAB members can serve any number of terms. CAB membership is entirely a matter of BoD discretion. No CAB member can be removed from CAB without approval of the BoD. The CAB shall meet twice per year. Unless authorized by the BoD at least one week in advance, all CAB meetings shall be open to the public at all times.
The CAB shall elect a Chair and Secretary. The duties of the Chair and Secretary are left to the discretion of the CAB except as follows: The CAB Chair and CAB Secretary may be asked to attend BoD meetings and/or other meetings. The BoD Chair will give at least five (5) days notice to the CAB Chair and/or Secretary when his/her presence is requested at a BoD meeting. The CAB Chair is required to provide written or electronic notice at least 14 days prior to all CAB meetings. Notice shall be given to the BoD Chair, BoD Secretary, CAB members, and staff.
The CAB Chair is responsible for ensuring that the meeting date, time and locations are entered on the official public bulletin board of station events in the station lobby and on the station web calendar at least fourteen (14) days prior to the meeting.The CAB Secretary is required to take cogent and legible minutes of all CAB meetings. Minutes include records of dates, times and locations of meetings, as well as the attendance roster and discussion topics of the meetings. The CAB Secretary is responsible for ensuring that a copy of the approved minutes is placed in a file at the station. A current copy of this charter shall be posted on the station website.
Official Functions of the CAB:
- To review the programming goals established by the station and the service provided by the station.
- Advise the BoD as the whether the programming and other policies are meeting the specialized educational and cultural needs of the communities served by the station.
- To make recommendations to the BoD to meet those specialized needs.
- To report directly to the BoD, making recommendations that can then be taken into account in strategic planning and in the formation of policy for the operation of the station.
- To meet twice per year.
- The CAB does not create station policy or make proposals regarding specific programs or programmers (which are the purview of the BoD and Program Committee respectively).
- The BoD is not required to take or refrain from action with respect to a recommendation of the CAB,
- No individual or group has a legal right to membership on the CAB.
- The BoD may assign other activities, as needed, to the CAB. Any goals and objectives beyond those enumerated in this charter must be approved by a majority of the BoD.
Without prior written authorization of the BoD, neither the CAB nor its members may act as an official representative of the Station. Without written authorization of the CAB, no CAB member can act as an official representative of the CAB. MCRS's Community Advisory Board Members:· ·